Last week Friday while Jay was at work, I went out for something and things seemed about normal until I got back home. The overhead garage door wasn’t quite closed. It wasn’t truly open, but there was a gap of a couple inches or so. I had no luck getting the door up and open, nor fully down and staying there. I gave up, having parked on the street and being a bit ill yet (cold hit me hard the previous Saturday – mostly over it, but some effects linger) and tired.
Jay checked it out at lunch and saw what I missed: One of the springs was broken. The door is too heavy to lift without the aid of the springs. Home Depot in $DISTANT_TOWN was called as they were the only place that would do anything on Saturday. And Saturday came and went and the call back from them never came. I think they got called again on Monday to let them know they lost business and we are Not Impressed. Jay then found who had done the installation for us – some years ago we had the overhead door & such replaced as the old one never quite worked right and tended to jam.
The fellow came on Tuesday, I think, and realized just how heavy the door is and found he doesn’t even carry springs that big now. (“As long as nobody runs into it, that door should last forever.”) He’d have to order in or have made up the right springs. He might have them as early as Thursday afternoon, but Friday was more likely. It was Friday.
We got lucky, relatively. The spring failed when both vehicles were out of the garage so we weren’t down to only one (or none – a third is in storage). Also, the weather was relatively warm most of the week. Window scraping happened only once, I think.
Very late Friday morning or very early afternoon the job was done. And just in time. It’s snowing and the vehicles are in the garage again.